Go Back   KLNetBB > DIỄN ĐÀN CÁC LĨNH VỰC > Góc học tập

Old 19-01-2003, 16:51  
tbkle

KL$: 0.00

Have you ever heard about Murphy's law. VNexpress mentioned it as month ago but now I don't remember it exactly.
But basically Murphy stated his law like this:

If anything can go wrong, it will.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then.

If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway

Enjoy your life and experience it.

Old 19-01-2003, 16:59  
tbkle

More about Murphy's law but about love

1 All the good ones are taken.

2 If the person isn't taken, there's a reason.

3 The nicer someone is, the farther away (s)he is from you.

4 Brains x Beauty x Availability = Constant.

5 The amount of love someone feels for you is inversely proportional to how much you love them.

6 Money can't buy love, but it sure gets you a great bargaining position.

7 The best things in the world are free --- and worth every penny of it.

8 Every kind action has a not-so-kind reaction.

9 Nice guys(girls) finish last.

10 If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

11 Availability is a function of time. The minute you get interested is the minute they find someone else.

How much do you agree with Murphy?

[ Bài viết được tbkle sửa lúc 19/01/2003 21:00 (theo giờ GMT+0) ]

Old 03-10-2003, 19:23  
tbkle

No one answered my topic. .... Doesn't matter men!. Murphy's laws got Ig Nobel Prize. Please read this article below through.

Despite tempting fate by honouring the originators of Murphy's Law, the Ig Nobel Prizes were handed out at Harvard University on Thursday without glitches.

The prizes reward achievements "that first make people laugh, and then make them think", according the science humour magazine behind the awards, the Annals of Improbable Research.

The Engineering Ig Nobel went to the men who invented the fundamental principle known Murphy's Law, or "if anything can go wrong, it will". To illustrate the principle, it took more than 50 years to cite the three engineers who recognised the obvious during rocket sled experiments at Edwards Air Force Base in California.

John Paul Stapp and George Nichols were testing how well the human body can withstand acceleration in 1949 when Edward A Murphy Jr came from another Air Force lab bringing a set of strain gauges that were supposed to measure the acceleration more accurately.

However, the gauges measured no acceleration at all because someone had hooked them up incorrectly. Thoroughly annoyed, Murphy grumbled something approximating his immortal law.

Later Stapp, who insisted on riding the rocket sleds himself, told reporters that he had escaped serious injury in the dangerous experiments by carefully considering "Murphy's Law," giving birth to the legend. Stapp and Murphy have since died, but Nichols sent a taped acceptance speech and Murphy's son Edward Murphy III accepted for his father.

Sheep dragging

A seven-man-strong Australian team pulled the Physics prize for their report "An analysis of the forces required to drag sheep over various surfaces" in Applied Ergonomics (vol 33, p 523). Dragging sheep to a "shearing workstation" requires forces "close to the maximum acceptable limits for the most capable of males," Jack Harvey, John Culvenor, and colleagues wrote.

The best floor for the task - at least from the sheep-puller's viewpoint - is wood strips aligned down a 10 per cent slope. Culvenor was dragged from the Ig Nobel podium after his acceptance speech exceeded the allocated 60 seconds.

Wide-eyed observation brought Kees Moeliker, of the Rotterdam Nature Museum, the Ig Nobel biology prize. Birds began colliding with the museum's new glass-walled wing as soon as it was built in 1995. But an unusually loud thud one day sent Moeliker dashing to investigate.

He found a dead duck on the ground, and a male mallard standing nearby. He then watched in amazement as the unhurt mallard mounted the dead bird and mated with the corpse for over an hour, stopping only when Moeliker interrupted it. He summed up the incident as "The first case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard" duck in the journal Deinsea (vol 8, p 243).

Dead or alive

A discerning report "Politicians' uniquely simple personalities" (Nature, vol 385, p 493) scooped the Psychology prize. Accepting the prize, Philip Zimbardo of Stanford University told the audience that Italians and Americans both judge politicians on only two personality dimensions, rather than the five they use for themselves.

The Peace prize went to the organiser of the Association of Dead People, Lal Bihari, of Uttar Pradesh, India, for "waging a lively posthumous campaign against bureaucratic inertia and greedy relatives". An uncle bribed a government official to declare Bihari legally dead in 1976, a fraud relatives can use to claim the victim's property without physically killing them.

Despite still being legally dead, he managed to persuade the legendarily unresponsive Indian bureaucracy to issue him with a passport a week before the Ig Nobel awards. But he failed to surmount the ultimate bureaucratic hurdle - getting a visa from the US embassy in Bombay.

Jeff Hecht, Cambridge, Massachusetts

How about it, guys

Old 05-10-2003, 09:31  

God Member

KL$: 532
Awarded 36 time(s)
Sent 169 thank(s)
Received 82 thank(s)
School: PTTH Kim Liên
Class: G (2001-2004)

Intersting!

I like the idea of Murphy's Law. I makes me feel not so horrible when I do something wrong And so happy when I get something right!

------------------------------
Hãy hôn em giữa đêm khuya bát ngát,
Bên lúa mạch vàng vàng, bên thảm cỏ xanh xanh,
Xoay xoay xoay theo điệu nhạc bồng bềnh,
Váy em xinh xinh, giày chàng bảnh bảnh.

Old 08-10-2003, 17:34  
pink_rose

The most interesting idiom i've read is : Brains x beauty x Avaibility = const
Bravo ...

Maths and life have proved this exactly..

Old 09-10-2003, 15:16  
tbkle

Oh man! You called it an idiom. That is right somehow but it isn't be scientifically or experimentally verified. So I suppose it is a hypothesis that Murphy arrived at through human beings' experiences. It may sound weird when it received an Ig Nobel But anyway "Brains x Beauty x Availability = Constant." is really cool, right?

Old 09-10-2003, 15:44  
tbkle

Quote:
I like the idea of Murphy's Law. I makes me feel not so horrible when I do something wrong And so happy when I get something right!

To Răng: do you feel guilty girl?. Please dun abuse it . It is better to go to the church every Sunday to claim your mistakes <----- well! another kind of Murphy's law abuser. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2003, 17:35  
Msus

I don't know much 'bout Murphy's Law, but I found it's very interesting. Why didn't you show me more (certainly if you can! ????

Old 04-11-2003, 18:39  
tbkle

I dunno much either. But I would like to trigger a discussion on Murphy's law aspects. For example, when things are likely to appear not very nice in the future, should you fight against to improve it or let it be and pretend those are inevitable?

Well, sometimes I wasnt in the mood. Everything is all dark and I used to rely on Murphy's law to get through it. Though that habit isnt good at all but sometimes it helped.

Old 05-11-2003, 12:02  
Msus

No, I don't think it's a bad habbit. That's life and all you have to do is stand it and accept everything happen. Some think it's so hard and they put themselves in sorrow, but when you find a way to get through this you're happier than many others.

Old 05-11-2003, 19:25  
tbkle

Well i dun believe much in Murphy's law. I dun consider it scientifically. We should think about it as a religious. Like the fundamental purpose of religious, Murphy's law was derived just to relieve our sorrow and unluckiness.

I agree with you that it helps but ..... just like religious no more.

Old 09-11-2003, 15:40  
Msus

Yeah, I don't say Murphy's law a scientific, may be it's only religious like you think. But it's doesn't matter. I think if there's any way to cure my sorrow with no pain, I 'll try it. Things depends on what you think.

KLNetBB - Member of Kimlien Network
Copyright © 2002-2009 by dcuongtran
Skin designed by Kusanagi - Banner designed by FunkyJan